COLD WAX WITH JUDY WISE
Artist extraordinaire Judy Wise will share her techniques of creating abstract paintings using cold wax medium and oil paint or paint sticks in Gig Harbor next July. This medium does not require any prior encaustic experience so beginners as well as experienced artists are welcomed.
You will learn how to apply basic backgrounds and how to build your painting using cold wax, oil paints or sticks and pigments. Traditional and non-traditional tools will be used to create rich, layered textures.
Judy was one of 100 artists included in Rebecca Crowell and Jerry McLaughlin's Cold Wax Medium book that will be released at the first of the year.
This Cold Wax Workshop Includes
- Two and half days of instruction from Judy
- Two dinners, two lunches made by Kathie
- mineral spirits, mineral oil
- powdered marble, sand, powdered iridescent and metallic pigments
- Gloves, rags, paper towels
- wax paper
Student Supply List
- offset palette knives - a few different sizes
- 4” soft brayer (Judy suggests Inovart) The roller is squishy, not firm
- painting substrates- wood, canvas or gessoed paper, no larger than 12"x12"
- oil paints, 6-12 tubes of colors you love and a big tube of white
- Dorland’s wax medium 16 oz.
- freezer paper or palette paper
- a couple of paint brushes (can be old ones or chip brushes from the paint store)
- Messermeister Silicone Bowl Scraper or similar
- oil paint sticks, any kind except shiva (too firm) - optional
- a variety of tools to make texture and marks - sticks, stamps, stencils, textured rubber mats, brushes, wide toothed combs, springs, wire brushes, thin kabob sticks, etc.)
Price for this workshop is $495 and does not include lodging or transportation. $100 deposit due at registration, balance due May 1, 2017. The workshop is limited to 11
This workshop is full. A second class has been added July 10-12. Register below. Schedule will be the same, just different dates.
Friday - 3-5 p.m. Meet for introductions to each other and to cold wax. Prepare substrates. Dinner follows
Saturday - 9:30 - 4:30 Begin layering, using different tools to create paintings. Lunch break will be around 12:30 for an hour, then we will clean up at 4:30 and have a break before dinner.
Sunday - 9:30 - 4:00 Continue layering our paintings. Lunch will be served at 12:30. Continue working for a couple of hours, then clean up and share our work before departing.
Accommodation: There are many Arbnbs and B&Bs in Gig Harbor. Here is a link for more options
Judy Wise is an Oregon artist who has worked as a printmaker, painter, writer and teacher for four decades and has kept daily journals of her writing and art since childhood. She is a widely published artist and her paintings, etchings and figures are owned by collectors all over the world. She exhibits locally in galleries in the Portland, OR area.
Judy's workshops for Bellissima Art Escapes include: Paint Oaxaca - Sept. 2014, Paint Mexico City - 2015, Paint San Miguel de Allende - 2015, Indigo Indigo - 2015, Free Spirits Amsterdam 2016, Painting Big Spain - 2016, Journal with a Circle of Friends, Catalonia, Spain - 2016.
Kathie Vezzani, who is hosting the workshop at her home in Gig Harbor, also is an artist who paints, rusts and waxes. She organizes trips for other artists and in a former life was a caterer. She has 22 years experience organizing trips for foodies and artists.