DYEING TO RUST WITH PAM NICHOLS
This workshop has been cancelled - Pam is moving to Perth, Australia! She will be teaching a couple of local workshops in Portland before she leaves this summer. Contact her at Pam@pamlnichols.com.
Encaustic artist Pam Nichols will teach her popular Dyeing to Rust workshop for the fifth time in Gig Harbor next July. Prerequisite is to have encaustic experience but no rusting experience is required!
Participants will gain hands-on experience learning how to incorporate rusted papers, rusted fabric and rusty objects into encaustic paintings.
Topics will include safe handling of rusted materials and techniques.
This Rust Workshop Includes
- Two and half days of instruction from Pam
- Two dinners, two lunches made by Kathie
- Encaustic medium
- Hot Plates
- All Items for Rusting
Price for this workshop is $495 and does not include lodging or transportation. A $100 deposit is due at registration with the balance due May 1, 2017. The workshop is limited to 10
Accommodation: There are many Arbnbs and B&Bs in Gig Harbor. Here is a link for more options
Student Supply List
- 3-4 of your favorite colors of encaustic paint in tins with brushes
- 1 or 2 Hake brushes, if you prefer these over chip brushes
- your favorite tools
- rusty items to attach to your paintings
- few sheets of natural papers such as silk tissue paper, mulberry paper, rice papers or cotton papers
- Butane torch head such as Iwatani (we have extra if you are traveling by plane)
- 2 10"x10" gessoed panels 1.5" deep or encaustic boards
- 2 12"x12" gessoed panels 1.5" deep or encaustic boards
- any other materials you like to work with
Pam Nichols loves wax and rust and her popular workshops sell out almost immediately. She is an accomplished professional artist whose encaustic work has been shown throughout the Pacific Northwest, Arizona and Australia. Since attending the Pacific Northwest College of Art, she has developed and produced several art shows around Portland, served as the President of Portland Open Studios and is currently the committee chair for two local art organizations positions. She has taught art classes throughout Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii.
Her work can be seen at ARQ Designs in Western Australia, Terzian Galleries in Park City, Utah, Art on Broadway in Beaverton, OR, Art Elements in Newberg, OR, and In Bocca al Lupo Fine Art in Oregon City, OR.
Kathie Vezzani, who is hosting the workshop at her home in Gig Harbor, also is an artist who paints, rusts and waxes. She organizes trips for other artists and in a former life was a caterer. She has 22 years experience organizing trips for foodies and artists.